Thursday, September 15, 2011

Packing up!

So, this will be my blog for my time as a TEFL volunteer with the Peace Corps in Ukraine. I've taken care of all the other "grown-up" things I needed to do before I left the United States, and now I only need to relax and pack my things up.
For starters, I don't know what this winter will be like in Ukraine. Apparently that country has had unpredictable weather (freezing rain, blizzards, hail, or sometimes nothing but dry, cold conditions) the last few winters, so I am packing for wet and cold situations. Wool pants, rain coat, mukluks, neoprene gloves, and a pair of world-famous Xtratuf boots are coming along. I am bringing my bicycle toolkit, but no bike, as I have been told that it is easy to root out a bicycle in Ukraine. I'm hoping to find a burly old Soviet-era bike with a heavy lugged frame. For my classes, I am bringing dress clothes, neckties, and trousers.
Anyway, expect far more interesting posts in about a week once I am in Ukraine. In the meantime, my new passport and visa are ready and waiting in DC, my forms are complete, and now I only need to pack up and spend time with my family and friends before I leave. Any suggestions on what to bring to Ukraine are welcome.

1 comment: