Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cold War-era Bomb Shelter in Chernihiv

Dobre Vecheer, everyone! It's week two for us trainees in Kulykivka and between Ukrainian classes, dodging ladas en route to school, and preparing lesson plans for our student teaching lessons next week we are all very busy. Tonight, though, I have a few of my best photos from the often-mentioned bomb shelter in our hotel at Chernihiv. Just checking out that shelter led to me brainstorming ideas for Fallout: Kyiv. First of all:



The Blast Door. This steel door was at least 3.5 inches thick and made of multiple stitch-welded steel plates. There is probably a lead core as well, and there is an equally formidable inner door to the shelter.


This is the main chamber of the shelter.


And a closer view of the bunk beds, with moveable planks:



For heat, the shelter's tenants would use this burly coal boiler. Stalin would be proud:



More pictures once I finish touching them up. Overall, the whole complex had four visible rooms, plus a few more that were probably behind closed doors. Most of the shelter was dark and shadowy, which made for a gloomy Soviet ambience, but so-so pictures. I'm now very glad that I am in cheerier town of Kulykivka. Have a good week, everyone, and I'll be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment